It was a fun film which I watched chuckling all the way through.
Here are some of the great mythic themes and I am sure that Professor Campbell would have found many more.
- Good and Evil as cosmic or absolute and as personal between and within the hero and antihero.
- The City as both holy and degenerate place (Babylon and Jerusalem)
- The Woman as creator and destroyer.
- The Hero of a thousand faces (Prophet, Christ, God)
- Rite of passage, the heroic trial, struggle
- The Mask--revealing and hiding truth.
- Redemption, Resurrection, Re-Creation
And some of the lessons of the Myth:
- Rule of law over the Mob.
- Liberation from within (not from outside) the city/community.
- Freedom with and from the state (political institution).
- Importance of non-governmental organization.
- Wealth as destructive and useful, wealth as secondary.
- The individual as ultimate moral being.
- Responsibility to the City/Public over self-preservation.