Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Fat Lady Sings (in a hundred trillion years)

News flash. A new study just confirmed the theory that the universe is burning out. Scientists through careful measurement of over 200k galaxies have confirmed that about half the fuel since the universe began has been expended. And the rest will be gone and the universe will be dead. It will be all over in a few hundreds of trillions of years.

Even though that's a few years after I will have been dead and even after the earth will have been destroyed in the sun's final death burst, it is still a bit disconcerting. Entropy wins! All is dust.

I don't really identify with my self, tribe, city, ethnic group, or nation; so its okay that they will go. I do however identify with my species; and so it pains me a bit to think that humanity, including the little bit I put into it, will not survive. I mean I imagined that by the time the earth was destroyed by the expanding, dying sun (or by humanity's silliness), we would have developed communities at least throughout our galaxy and maybe in other galaxies so the race would go on. Like in the movie Interstellar.

But the whole universe burnt out and dead! That's hard to take.

Well there is the multiverse theory. But wouldn't the laws of different universes be so different that they couldn't evolve or support humans? Maybe we can figure that out in time.

As ee cummings said: listen, there's a hell of a good universe next door: let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment